Here's what happened to xfwm4

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 12 12:40:40 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> I installed it, but don't get to choose it when logging in.
>> Here, I think, is why:
>> [summer at potoroo ~]$ rpm -qi  xfwm4
>> Name        : xfwm4                        Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 4.4.2                             Vendor: Fedora Project
>> Release     : 3.fc9                         Build Date: Wed 30 Apr
>> 2008 04:29:14 AM WST
>> Install Date: Mon 12 May 2008 11:11:39 AM WST      Build Host:
>> xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
>> Group       : User Interface/Desktops       Source RPM:
>> xfwm4-4.4.2-3.fc9.src.rpm
>> Size        : 2655388                          License: GPLv2+
>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 01 May 2008 01:44:19 AM WST, Key ID
>> b44269d04f2a6fd2
>> Packager    : Fedora Project
>> URL         : http://www.xfce.org/
>> Summary     : Next generation window manager for Xfce
>> Description :
>> xfwm4 is a window manager compatible with GNOME, GNOME2, KDE2, KDE3
>> and Xfce.
>> [summer at potoroo ~]$ rpm -ql xfwm4 | grep xsessions
>> [summer at potoroo ~]$
>>

>> I gather it should be tucking a .desktop file into /usr/share/xsessions/
>
> Install xfce-utils for the session file. You can find this by using

I was wondering whether  xfce4-session is the correct package.

> repoquery from yum-utils package.

I've been using apt-cache.

Is there _one_ package I can install to get a reasonable XFCE desktop?
There's a lot of xfce packages one _can_ install, many I probably don't
need (xfce4-wavelan-plugin is probably useful on my laptop with a
wavelan card plugged in, but not otherwise)