icewm has no programs

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:20:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 15:28 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:

> >> ... And post the BZ# here.
> >>
> 446022

OK. Assigned to me. (NEEDINFO)

> > I assume that you're using icewm-xdgmenu, right?

> Okay, it seems to me an undeclared dependency.

Undeclared, by design.
Some people might want to define the menus manually.

> Note, the description says "each time the user logs _in_."

Indeed.

> I'd be happier if the menus were built by a script run by rpm; I've
> never looked at triggers, but I expect that this is the sort of thing
> they deal with.

Problem is - I don't have any means to detect if the GNOME/KDE menu have
been changed since the last login.
More-ever, even on my laptop (a PII/366, 256Mhz), rebuilding the menus
eats ~1-3 seconds (being executed in the background).
If you want to disable the auto-rebuild, just edit
the /usr/share/icewm/startup script.

> > I managed to reproduce the problem, but a simple login-logout solved
> > the problem.
> > Weird.
>
> Since my problem seems explained by the lack of a menu generator, and
> presumably you do have said generator, you and I might be seeing
> different problems.

Guess so.

> It will be a while before I test it, atm I'm trying to virtually install
>   CentOS5 using KVM and I'm wondering whether it's emulating the CPU.

P.S. IceWM is also a part of Fedora's EPEL repository. (RHEL/CentOS)

- Gilboa