Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 11 20:52:26 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 20:20:48 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 19:02 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Jesse, system-config-network worries me.  The hardware tab tells me that
> > my wired connection, Realtek 8101E, is eth1, but the devices tab says
> > that it is eth0.  I see there is a network script for ifcfg-eth0, but not
> > eth1, so I guess that's the correct (as well as logical) one.
> >
> > Unless you have some ideas on something that I can manually edit to deal
> > with this, I guess I need to file a bug.
>
> Forgive me, but what is the desired outcome of your configuration?
> Hopefully you can achieve that without having to invoke
> system-config-network.
>
> System-config-network is (mostly) for dealing with the old "network"
> service.  NetworkManager has it's own config integrated to the applet
> that will allow you do to things such as setup (multiple) static
> configurations for your wired or wireless interfaces and choose between
> them on the fly using the applet, as well as have one system config that
> is applied at boot time (not after login, at boot time).

Jesse, I don't care which route we go - NM is fine if we can persuade it to
work.

All I want is a fixed address when on my home LAN - and I'll accept reserved
IP from my router's dhcp if that's easiest - and straight dhcp for the wifi,
since that will be used at various locations.

Since trying to get the cabled connection working properly (and it's working
now, but not on my chosen IP address) I have lost the wifi altogether, so if
you can advise me how to start from scratch that would probably be best.

Anne