Anaconda video problems

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 3 03:48:50 UTC 2008

Hi Leon,

Are you using Fedora 10 Snap 3? I installed this on a laptop-based
system: the install was to an external USB hard drive which a Dell D420
laptop boots. I was not installing to the laptop's internal hard drive.
I have a 19" external Dell monitor connected to the laptop too, and I'm
using it as the primary monitor. Also, I did my install as an http
(URL-based) installation where I simply mounted the ISO image of the
installation DVD to a web directory on one of my other computers, burned
the boot.iso image to a CD, pointed Anaconda to the web directory and
let it install that way. It seems much less fussy than an NFS install,
and faster than installing with a physical DVD.

I did not have any trouble with the Anaconda GUI itself. It may have
been because of the installation method I used. I'm not sure what would
have happened if I had burned a physical DVD and installed from that.

However post-install I did have problems with Plymouth displaying ugly
horizontal bars at the bottom of my monitor during the boot process. I
got rid of that by removing the text 'rhgb' from the kernel parameters
shown in grub.conf.  I'm one of those people who feels a strong need to
see kernel messages anyhow. There must be some X problems out there too,
because at least once, if I repeatedly log out and then log in again,
the system would freeze up and I'd have no option but to power the
system off and boot again.

Bob Cochran