gmplayer not doing what it should: playing... / gstreamer related resets X -> Related to desktopeffects!!

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Nov 7 13:10:13 UTC 2008

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 08:03:09PM +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>> Am Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:01:11 +0100
>> schrieb Roger Grosswiler <roger at gwch.net>:
> [...]
>> > should i file this also in bugzilla for fedora?? where? is this a
>> > kernelbug? am i the only concerned? If i am not wrong, this should
>> > concern lots of ati radeon-users!
>>
>> *argh* i disabled now desktopeffects, then it works. so there seems to
>> be an incompability between mplayer/gstreamer and compiz???
>
> As I wrote in your RPMFusion bug report, MPlayer shouldn't be able to
> crash the Xserver. If it does, it usually means it triggered some bug
> in either the Xserver or radeon driver, or perhaps its kernel part.
>
> Regards,
>
> --

as i wrote above, since i deactivated desktopeffects (wobbling windows etc - i think
this is compiz) it works.

so it seems to be a bug in compiz or the other way, because the effects (resetting X,
not playing movies) just come with desktopeffects activated.

still my question: am i the only with that error? do others not have this problem? if
no, this could perhaps just be related to compiz on ati radeon.

Roger