Flash on Citicards site (was: Will shared swap bite me?)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 10 04:06:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 07:45:12PM -0800, NiftyFedora Mitch wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> > Yup, 99 percent of the time, it's a waste of resources.  Citibank's
> > citicards site has a problem with Linux and Flash. I wrote them with the
> > workaround and they just wrote back that they don't support Linux. If I
> > were having their financial difficulties, I'd have treated it
> > differently, but oh well.
>
> Remind them that they should be supporting their customers
> not supporting some product vendor.   It is easy to test for a plugin
> and if absent provide useful images....   Flash is cool but way overused.

Oh, I did.  I even wrote them a snailmail explaining what they were
doing wrong.
I never received an answer.
So, once another credit card company gave me the same cashback offer, I
stopped using them.

(Most companies' sites use Flash--I guess their web designers convince
them that it attracts people, rather than annoying them,
slowing down the site, and everything else that Flash does.
However, it seems that only Citibank hasn't upgraded to get rid
of this known transparency bug.)

Yes, I even suggested to them that they take 2 minutes and google
citicards.com flash linux and that they would find that various people
had posted on their blogs or elsewhere that they no longer used their
Citibank credit card because of it, but I guess they felt they were
doing so well they don't need it.

Perhaps this attitude is one reason they're doing so poorly these days.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Principal Snyder: It's fuzzy-minded liberal thinking like that
that gets you eaten.