Problem setting up wired networking

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Fri Nov 14 00:29:10 UTC 2008

Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>> *shrug* it's about target audience.  Can you honestly tell me that the
>> pre-network manager world was better for dealing with wireless networks,
>> roaming from one location to another, typical laptop usage?
>
> No, the pre-network manager world was not better for those systems. So
> for those systems it is perhaps an advance. But that doesn't justify
> breaking it for the other 90+% (or, in my case, 100%).

That seems dubious.  You think NetworkManager "broke" things (or at
least made network configuration more difficult) for 90+% of systems?
Perhaps if you count each pc in a 1000-pc server farm separately, but
even in those cases I'm surprised NetworkManager would "break" things.

I'm very happy with NetworkManager.  It has made networking much easier
for me, and I suspect the vast majority of Fedora users (not to mention
Ubuntu and other distros).  Supporting vpnc and ad hoc networks in F10
are nice improvements on top of quite solid wired/wireless support.
(I haven't tested ad hoc networks, but I do use vpnc, and while running
vpnc by hand wasn't difficult, it's nice to have it in NetworkManager.)

(It would be nice to have as solid modem support - once in a blue moon
I need to use dial-up, but getting laptop modems working is so
daunting that I just share a connection from my husband's Windows
machine.  Even most external USB modems are useless WinModems.)

(I wish the display support, not to mention suspend/hibernate,
were as solid - but we're getting there.)

Thanks to everyone working on this!
--
	--Per Bothner