Problem setting up wired networking

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Nov 14 14:26:14 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 00:10:19 Jesse Keating wrote:

> For the cases where you need to do advanced configuration, and
> NetworkManager can't handle it, you can turn it off and use the old
> network service.  It's a lot easier for the class of folks that need
> this to do it, than for the class of folks who need easy to use casual
> networking to work easily for them to switch off 'network' and turn on
> 'NetworkManager'.

In my experience the network service does not, and never did,
work properly (with WiFi).
To start with, it was more or less incompatible with system-config-network.

NM has its faults - many of them - but by comparison with the network service
it is utopia.

I would never advise anyone I like to use the network service.