Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 15:15:40 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 14:28:27 Chuck Anderson
wrote:
> Can you run "nm-tool" in a terminal window, then run
"iwlist scanning"
> as well (I think the latter needs to be run as root)?
 That may
> provide a clue as to what is being misdetected.  The
two should agree
> on the list of APs found, their encryption modes, etc.

nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected

- Device: eth1
  Type:              Wired
  Driver:            r8169
  State:             connected
  Default:           yes
  HW Address:        00:1E:68:BD:EF:73

  Capabilities:
    Supported:       yes
    Carrier Detect:  yes
    Speed:           100 Mb/s

  Wired Settings

  IPv4 Settings:
    Address:         192.168.0.92
    Prefix:          24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway:         192.168.0.1

    DNS:             192.168.0.1

- Device: wlan0
  Type:              802.11 WiFi
  Driver:            ath5k_pci
  State:             disconnected
  Default:           no
  HW Address:        00:22:33:44:55:66

  Capabilities:
    Supported:       yes

  Wireless Settings
    WEP Encryption:  yes
    WPA Encryption:  yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

  Wireless Access Points

[root at AAO ~]# iwlist scanning
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

wmaster0  Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     No scan results

eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

pan0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

*MAC address obscured.

Anne