Re: Problem setting up wired networking

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 12:53 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Incidentally, Anne mentioned Xandros.
> I'm really embarrassed that my grand-daughter's EeePC 4G
> (ie the cheapest of the cheap) running Xandros
> connects faultlessly to WiFi wherever she is.
> I wonder what WiFi program that uses?
> (She is in Australia at the moment, so I cannot examine the machine.)

It would be interesting to know.  It's also important to remember that
when trying to get wireless connected, it's not just NetworkManager
involved.  It's NetworkManager, often wpa-supplicant if you're using
that auth, the firmware for the device, and the kernel driver.  If any
of those pieces go wrong, the connection can fail, but usually only
NetworkManager gets the blame (because that's what user's see).

Depending on the hardware, some distros ship a ripped windows driver for
them, or ship firmware that Fedora is just not able to, so it can appear
that other distros work better when in fact they do, but it's because
they are doing things that Fedora is not legally able to do.

I'm not claiming that this is the case with Anne or your grand-daughter,
I'm just saying that it's something to consider when doing comparisons.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!