NetworkManager connection to encrypted Wireless Network

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Nov 14 20:59:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 08:22:09PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I've just borrowed a system to check.  The latest kernels
> available for 2008.1 are 2.6.24.x, which is much too old, I think.
> Isn't 2.6.27 the beginning of the ath5K driver being in the
> kernel?

No.  I am using ath5k on a laptop (currently with F8 on it) for
some time.  So this worked at least with 2.6.26.x kernels although
I do not remember now when I switched from madwifi. 2.6.24.x may
indeed be too old.  The module ath5k.ko was there but not in the
best shape.

In any case this works for me, currently with 2.6.26.6-49.fc8
for a kernel, without any issues and in WPA2 mode.  Curiously enough
NM in "Connection Information" claims "Driver: ath5k_pci", while
there is nothing like that around, but whatever ...

Of course ath5k services a lot of different hardware and I may be
just lucky with that particular card ("AR5212/AR5213", 168c:0013).

   Michal