F10 on Homebuilt Box - Absolutely Brutal...!!!!

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 16 15:47:49 UTC 2008

I build my own desktop boxes and usually pick a motherboard that Fedora
is known to work on. Some motherboards just don't work, at least with
older versions of Fedora.

For example the motherboard I'm using now is the Asrock 939SLI32-eSATA2
and I'm using an PCI Express nVidia graphics card -- I forgot the name a
long time ago. Point is, I asked on the x86_64 list for board
recommendations and then bought the recommended board. I seem to recall
there was a problem with the onboard network chip but I fixed it quickly
by finding the right driver and compiling it. Then future kernel updates
had it by default.

I have not paid it the slightest attention in the last few years, but I
believe there is a hardware compatibility list you can check.

You may have seen some of my earlier posts asking about the Dell
Latitude E-series notebooks. I was wondering if others have gotten F10
to install on that. There were no responses -- interesting.

My suggestion is, ask around for a motherboard that works with Fedora
10, and buy and install that. It isn't too tough to change a
motherboard. It might cost you something for new memory though -- and
I've noticed the memory prices Dell quotes for 4 Gb chips are really
high...hmmm. I don't know if that's a market trend.

My current Asrock system is sorely in need of replacement, and I'm
thinking of retiring the desktop entirely and replacing it with a notebook.

Bob Cochran