Problem setting up wired networking

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Nov 17 17:25:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 04:35:43PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 16:07:37 Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
> > Probably something wrote,
> > and why I do not know, at some moment a rule which requires such
> > rename into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser.  70-persistent-net.rules clearly says that it is
> eth0!
>
> > You can edit found file or throw it away
>
> While I have the file, is there any advantage/disadvantage of changing the
> ATTR{address} lines to show the genuine MAC addresses, rather than
> 00:00:00:00:00:00?

This should be the genuine MAC addresses as this identifies the
interface in question.

My guess would be that you started with a buggy driver which was
unable to find MAC and that is why you ended with 00:00:00:00:00:00.
Now udev gets "no, this does not match the card here so eth0 is
taken and the next one free needs to be used" and you end up with
eth1.

Maybe udev should take 00:00:00:00:00:00 as a "wild card" which
would match any MAC?  Only that should be processed only after all
present "real MACs" were taken care of.

Again - I only _think that is a probable scenario_ but I do not know
that for sure.

   Michal