Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:44:21 UTC 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008 16:39:02 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Anne Wilson (cannewilson at googlemail.com) said:
> > While I have the file, is there any advantage/disadvantage of changing
> > the ATTR{address} lines to show the genuine MAC addresses, rather than
> > 00:00:00:00:00:00?
>
> 00:00:00:00:00:00 is unlikely to actually match anything, unless that's
> what the device looks like before it loads any firmware.

OK, I've edited that.  I realise now that there is a section of the file that
I hadn't noticed before.  I wonder if this is the cause of the problem.
Originally eth0 had 00:00:00:00:00:00, then there is the section

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8136 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="00:1e:68:bd:ef:73", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
NAME="eth1"

Presumably this means that it has discovered the MAC address and is not aware
that it belongs to the Realtek device defined above it.

I'm going to try commenting out that section now that I've put the MAC address
in, and see whether I then get connected on eth0.

Yes - I'm now connected to Auto eth0!  So that's one mystery cleared up.  I
wonder why it didn't detect the MAC in the first place?  Maybe that's
connected to the fact that wired didn't work just at first.  Pure speculation,
of course.

Anne