F10 on Asus N10J netbook

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 18 01:11:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 05:27:03PM -0500, David A. De Graaf wrote:

> 4)  Permissions that are automatically set for /dev/snd/* prevent
> users from using the sound devices.  I have been unable to find the
> "proper" way to undo this travesty,

A way to undo this "travesty" is to add a file in
/etc/security/console.perms.d, say 90-my.perms, with permissions
like you want them to see.  A format should be obvious if you will
look at other files but see also 'man 5 console.perms' and
'rpm -qd pam' for a bigger picture. The location name indicates that
this does have security implications but in a particular setup you
may not care.

> but a brute force solution works.

To an extent.  Logging from a keyboard and logging out, I guess,
will revert them to a state specified in existing files from
/etc/security/ tree.

> Pulseaudio is a travesty and abomination.

That sounds a bit too overgeneralized; but did you bother to look at
'man pulseaudio'?  Among other things it explains how to run it as a
system-wide daemon instead of an instance for every user and what
are tradeoffs.  I tend to agree that this is not that well thought
off and geared to "windoze user" even if that user happens to run
something else.

    Michal