webcam support - f10 preview+

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 18 13:11:38 UTC 2008

Hi, especially to Hans for his work on web cam stuff,

So I got my:
Logitech QuickCam Express Plus 046d:092f spca561 integrated works cam
showing an image on updated f10 preview, where previously I had no luck
when I had tested a couple of months back with a booting a rawhide
kernel on F9 machine and so forth.

However, what I did notice:
- image is extremely dark by default - to the point that I didn't think
it was working at all, until I picked it up and accidentally pointed it
at the room light ;)
   - eventually found v4l2ucp which gives: white balance, exposure,
gain, auto gain controls.
- the image is quote grainy / blurry  -even after best attempt with the
focus ring.

Having never used the particular cam under winxp, I don't know how good
the image should be but expected it to be reasonable.

Does this sound typical for this device {on a usb2 port on a 1 year old
laptop}, or perhaps there is something screwy with my setup [or do I
need 500W floodlights in my living room] ?

DaveT.