The nv driver and GeForce 7100 (Was: F10 on Homebuilt Box - Absolutely Brutal...!!!!)

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Nov 18 17:43:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 10:16 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> > > Do you have an X log showing what happens when you run the nv driver?

> ...Correction to the above about vesa. It seems that, absent any
> xorg.conf file, we DO try to load the nv driver. I think perhaps
> system-config-display is just falling back to a vesa driver after
> failing with nv, and is just having better luck at getting something
> going.
>
> With that in mind, here's a version of the Xorg.0.log file that's
> generated when there is no xorg.conf file present:
>
> =========================
>
> X.Org X Server 1.5.2
> Release Date: 10 October 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-107.el5xen x86_64

<snip...>

> (II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,

<snip...>

> 	GeForce 6200 A-LE, GeForce 7800 GTX, GeForce 7800 GTX,

<snip...>

> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00 at 00:10:0
> (WW) NV: Ignoring unsupported device 0x10de07e1 (GeForce 7100/nForce
> 630i) at 00 at 00:10:0
> (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
Unsupported??? (Big, Texas "Hunnnh...?")

After looking at this log in detail (and googling to see others with the
same card plus F9/10 and other distros having the identical problem), I
guess the real question to ask is why the nv driver seems to support
every nVidia card out there _except_ the GeForce 7100 series.

Oversight? If intentional, why, and what can be done to include it?

Happy to bugzilla this one as needed...

Cheers,

Chris

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is."

--Yogi Berra