Installing F10 (from F9) on a system with encrypted partitions?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 25 14:18:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 13:48:13 +0000,
  Mike <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I do a clean in stall of F10 from the DVD iso once it is released, are there
> any known problems likely to arise and should I be able to do a straightforward
> install but yet retain access to the encrypted /opt partition?

This is supposed to work. I haven't been testing encrypted installs though.
I did a yum upgrade to rawhide shortly before the alpha.

> In addition is it possible during the install to get the system to use the same
> passphrase for the luks encryption for the / as well as the pre-existing /opt
> partitions, and at the same time get the boot process to only ask for this
> passphrase once?

The boot process saves the passwords you use (hopefully in a relatively
secure manner) and only asks you for a new one if none of the previously
supplied ones could unlock an encrypted device.

> Also the swap partition is encrypted - presumably the same encryption is possible
> with the pre-existing swap partition during install?

Yes. It uses a fixed key. (You need that for suspend/resume to have a chance
of working.) In the past some people had the encrypted device swap was on,
get a random key at each boot. That mode isn't supported.