PulseAudio info needed

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 27 17:47:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 04:38:40PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008 16:12:48 Scott Robbins wrote:

> When it works it's great - and it does work for some of us.  I have no
> problems on a 5-year-old F9 workstation, a 3-year-old laptop and a 1-month-old
> netbook.  Of course satisfied customers don't complain :-)
>
> It's just another thing in linux development that highlights problems that
> always existed, but no-one was aware of because that function wasn't used in
> the past.  At least, that's my understanding.

Hrrm, my understanding was that sound worked for me, regardless of
whether I use console, fluxbox, gnome or any other desktop or window
manager.  With the advent of pulse audio, combined with Gnome tying
sound into console kit, it doesn't.  I just gave it a fresh try on a
fresh install.  A line from the song I chose, "Good Times" was quite
apropos, "Same old, Same old."

Works without a hitch--as long as I decide to use Gnome.
Install fluxbox, boot into runlevel 3, doesn't play until I kill pulse
audio.

It's the sort of thing that I don't feel like putting effort into
solving since I have a quick solution that works for me--make sure
pulseaudio doesn't run on boot, remove the alsa pulse audio plugin and
edit a file in /etc/security.

I never had to do any of that till last November when they tied sound to
consolekit.  At that point, I had to edit that file.  Then came
pulseaudio which added to the breakage.

There's a reason many of us don't like it.  :)

To add insult to injury, Ubuntu has figured out a way to make it work
transparently whether or not you use Gnome, console, or anything.

So, if there were three or four steps that would take me two minutes to
do, that are easily in sight, I'd do it--as it stands though, the steps
I take require perhaps two minutes, and I've seen, from comparing it
with Ubuntu, where I use it, that there's no major difference for my,
admittedly, very simple sound needs, occasionally playing something on
youtube or music.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Gunn: Fair Cordelia. You still savin' my life?
Cordelia: Every minute.
Gunn: How's that workin' out?
Cordelia: You're alive aren't you?