PulseAudio info needed

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 14:05:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 08:47:57AM +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I get quite angry at the number of times I see replies like 'disable
> > > pulseaudio and you'll have no more problems' - but I have not counter-
> > > arguments.
> > >

> > I suggest you base at least some of the material on Lennart Poettering
> blog
> > http://0pointer.de/blog
> >
> > and in particular the "PulseAudio FUD" post here:
> > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/jeffrey-stedfast.html
>
> That's not a counter argument, it seems to agree.  Its developer says
> that it's not ready for prime time, though he phrases it differently.
>
> Interesting that he feels Fedora, where sound doesn't Just Work unless
> you use Gnome, did a good job of implementing it, whereas Ubuntu, where
> sound works without any effort in console, fluxbox, and the like, did a
> bad job.

OK, I've read his FUD rebuttal, I can understand why sound doesn't
just work, but I've got one of those laptops where it doesn't work.
Personally, I won't go near Gnome (it just doesn't work the way _I_
think, and neither of us is wrong).

I'd like to switch from F8 to F10, but there are a number of pretty
simple items on my checklist, and one is sound:
a) The KDE launch and shutdown sounds should not stutter.
   (I usually have them turned off anyway, but it is indicative of a
'problem')
b) I need 'audacity'
c) I'd like to have xine and mplayer (sometimes one doesn't like my DVDs
   and the other does)
d) playing MP3s (from conference proceedings) (I like xmms)  Rarely do
   I play albums, so all these players that focus on sucking music
   across the net and showing album covers and building playlists
   are lost on me; just play the file I've got is enough.
e) the 'CD control' button on the front of my Dell Inspiron 6400
   should work (at least as well as they did on F8, otherwise its a
   regression).

So while testing Rawhide and now F10 release, step a) (still) doesn't work.
So... If a) doesn't work, then I typically stop there and wait till it
does, even if some of the _other_ stuff might work.

Either a) I'm doing something wrong (because it doesn't work 'out of the
box'
on my machine or b) What do I file Bugzilla's against?

Thanks for listening,
Fulko