F10 Beta Problems

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 02:57:03 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
Subject: Re: F10 Beta Problems
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 5:59 PM

Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I have the following issues:
>
> Annaconda
> My monitor can go to 1600 by 200, Annaconda selects it. My eyes cannot go,
even with glasses, to 1600x200,  Why not select 1024x768, so that one can watch
the progress with crt monitor or with wide aspect ration flat Panel?

I think anaconda should use some "reasonable value" checking, and
choose the default which is 4:3, 16:9, or 5:4 aspect ratio, no more than 1024
high. This gives priority to the human, who can then change the selection if
s/he can only read the screen!

> Before giving the go-ahead to start the installation, it would be nice to
tell the user how many files will be installed and to allow a review. (The right
click on details to choose all is dangerous (and not documented as a great
feature) -- After right clicking my areas of interest, I ended up with 2700+
files, and many hours of downloads. All went well.)

> Default Display Screen Size.
> After DVD removal and reboot to create users, again resolution is
painfully small.

What I said before, catering to the computer rather than the user.

> Setting Screen Resolution (user Preferences)
> I have a 21 inch monitor, but I want to use the first 4/3 aspect ratio
above the 1024/768. Fedora switches to it ok, but I need a full set of refresh
rates, so I can properly align the display in the window (The setting I chose
works with UBUNTU on the same system).

This is all part of the same issue, isn't it? That part of the install has
yet to work in a user friendly manner on any of my machines.

> Using Gnome, I am blocked from logging directly to root.
> Most of the time, I find it faster to do things via gui interface then via
commandline. Since I cannot log to the system with Root privledges, functionalty
is lost.

Oh use su or read the list, the answer has been posted at least twice.

> Audio feedback when system is booted.
>  From poweron to logon screen ready, Fedora used to provide a System ready
sound configuration. Now, deadly silence. One has to watch the screen, instead
of waiting to hear the ready signal. (Works correctly with UBUNTU).

You have something set up wrong. I have all the video problems, but sound
works. At least as well as PulseAudio ever works...

Bill, Sound appears after logon, and it would be nice to appear as a introduction just as
the logon screen is presented.

It used to work that way before pulse audio.