Bell causes volume to go down?

With current Rawhide...

Whenever gnome-terminal tries to beep, e.g.,, if I hit ctrl-g in a gnome-terminal window or hit the backspace key when there's nowhere to back up, my master sound volume gets reset from wherever it is to an extremely low setting. And, incidentally, there's no beep.

Seems like a bug, but I have no idea what to file it against. Any suggestions?

  jik