Loss of accounts with f11 update

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Sat Apr 4 12:47:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 13:15 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
> I did a massive (~800mb) yum update last night, apparently in two
> stages. My laptop ran out of power in the middle before completing the
> transaction. I later ran yum-complete-transaction which removed 173
> packages. I know that at least some of this was correct since it removed
> old versions of wine and wireshark. Unfortunately, the passwd file seems
> to have problems now, the boot process complains that root is an unknown
> user. After loading all daemons that will work, the machine becomes
> unusable since I don't know any valid login names.
>
> 1) - how do I make my laptop usable ( I don't want to reinstall because
> I am not sure that I remember how to up broadcom wireless)
> 2) - what should I look for to help track down the problem

I ran into this during the middle of devel between alpha and beta.  What
I found out, was  when doing any kind of major update like above, just
boot into run level 3 first and then run the upgrade.  That way X or
anything else doesn't try to restart or anything and interrupt the
update and cause problems like you experienced.

I know it *shouldn't* and hopefully that gets fixed, but in mean time I
would recommend doing major updates/upgrades in run level 3.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

Fedora Project - Bugzapper, Tester, User, etc..
miketc302 at fedoraproject.org