Re: disk order changes?

On 04/04/2009 06:11 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
Anyone know why the ordering of disk devices is apparently
different when booting anaconda kernel? (from F11 beta DVD).

My USB drive becomes /dev/sdb and the 2nd fixed disk winds
up as /dev/sdc.

I know there are no guarantees, but naming removable devices
ahead of fixed devices seems kinda peculiar.

It also caused much confusion when I was trying to do a
hard disk install (which doesn't work even when I get
the names right, but is really broken when I'm telling
it the wrong disk drive for the image :-).

I'm seeing a somewhat related issue when installing RHEL/Centos 5 systems from an usb stick. The grub device map gets all mixed up and the installed system doesn't boot. After every install I have to boot into the rescue system and fix the device map and grub config to remove the usb stick reference and have the entries point to the right device.