Re: [OT?] a viable laptop for exploring virtualization on f11?

Sven Lankes wrote:
On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 11:17:51AM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:

Sadly just because the CPU supports it, isn't enough. There's a history
of vendors being... incompetent, shall we say, with having proper BIOS
support for things, VT included.

As far as I remember that is only valid for Intel based systems as VT
needs bios support and the AMD counterpart always works without the
vendor having to tweak the bios to enable support.

Not so. I babysit some HP DC5850s which have AMD-64 processors, and AMD-V is turned off in the BIOS.

It's hidden under "security."

In my earlier rant, I intended to question whether 8 Gbytes is enough. Not all virtualisation software (not any on intellish hardware that I've noticed) allows overcomitting RAM.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait