Re: dependency resolving issues

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:35:08 -0700
Rob Healey <robhealey1 gmail com> wrote:

Greetings:

I guess that I just do not understand how things work around here --
that being, an open community problem?

Top posting and quoting an entire digest is not a great way to
introduce yourself to the community. ;(
To me, I would not submit something if all it did was have broken
dependencies or broke the software!!!

Having three packages have dependency resolution problems, doesn't
sound too professional to me!

The libdrm, xorg-x11-drv-ati and kernel builds were all started
around the same time, but the rawhide compose occured before the
kernel had finished building, thus it was not in the rawhide compose
and resulted in the problems you saw.
Just a matter of bad timing, not any unprofessional activity or the
like.

Rob has a fair point. I'd think most of the logic to avoid this problem exists in various packages such as yum, that do dependency tracking and checking.

Checking that rawhide (and other repos) is consistent before pushing an update is sensible, and maybe not too difficult if maybe not of the greatest urgency.

Why not put the idea on the list of things to be done so it's not forgotten, and where someone might pick it off and have at it?

To be suitably general, it would need to be told which repos are available for resolving deps together with their desirability - some might be classified as "use it if you must, but I wish you wouldn't, and do warn me."

While we should all expect broken rawhide from time to time, when it breaks it does cause grief to many. Release of uninstallable packages, I think, is something that should be avoidable and avoided.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait