Testing the Fedora 11 Installation Guide

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 17:14:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 14:53 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> This extremely welcome installation guide is wonderful! With relatively
> little time and effort, I was able to zero in on the requirements for
> doing a medialess install on an existing system that has the Grub
> bootloader, and it was a great experience. Too bad Anaconda crashed
> while creating the encrypted filesystem, but the intelligence of the bug
> reporting process for Bugzilla is amazing. The installer found an
> existing bug for this crash automagically, and added my traceback to the
> bug as a comment. This is quite heartening. It means a serious bug is
> more likely to get rapid attention because there is sufficient traceback
> detail posted to pinpoint the error.
>
> The Installation Guide section on Cobbler needs to be rewritten. First
> off, I can and did simply mount my entire *DVD.iso image to an http (web
> document) directory simply and quickly using the mount command. The
> Guide does not explain what Cobbler does, and why I might want to use
> it. It gives the impression that one must use Cobbler to do an http
> install. The guide should mention that for the http installation
> message, it is sufficient to mount the iso image to an web document
> directory and all will be well. That would seem to match the Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux documentation I've read, although the last time I had
> to review that was a long while ago.
>
> So, I didn't have to read the entire Guide through from page 1. I was
> able to locate the information I wanted quickly and use it quickly. That
> is one indication of a very promising, well-done document.

Thanks for the feedback Bob!

I've experienced the same issue.  While the DVD procedure you outlined
is noted in section 3.5.1 [1], the section on preparing an installation
server [2] could provide more details (or point to offsite cobbler
documentation).

[1] http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/Installation%
20Guide/en-US/html/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#d0e1471

[2] http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/Installation%
20Guide/en-US/html/ap-install-server.html#sn-install-cobbler

Thanks,
James