fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 62, Issue 45

Allen Kistler an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 16:03:12 UTC 2009

Michael Wiktowy wrote:
 > I have made a LiveUSB stick with Fedora 11 Beta and have updated it to
 > the latest rawhide updates. It boots just fine on most of the machines
 > that I have (Dell Precision 690 and Optiplex 755) but exhibits bizarre
 > behaviour with any Optiplex 760 that I try to boot on.
 >
 > What happens is that it will start to boot but will hang part way into
 > the sequence. At this point, I can press (but not hold) the power
 > button and that seems to jog it such that it will boot a little bit
 > more. I can keep pressing the power button over and over (it takes
 > about 20 times or so) and it will prod the boot along such that it
 > will eventually boot to a fully functional desktop. If I don't press
 > the power button, it will hang indefinitely.
 >
 > There are still issues with the desktop in that it is really laggy and
 > text does not scroll smoothly in the terminal and it seems to take
 > multiple keystrokes to do anything but there is no indication as to
 > what is causing the load or latency.  Top is clean (although won't
 > update unless I press a keystroke) and /var/log/messages doesn't have
 > anything really unusual in it.
 >
 > The network card doesn't work either.
 >
 > These are regressions from Fedora 10 which worked fine on this
 > machine.
 >
 > Any thoughts on where I should look to even start to file a bug report
 > that won't to so vague as to be completely ignored?

It sounds like your machine is aggressively sleeping, and you're waking
it up momentarily by feeding it ACPI events.  Try the "acpi=off" kernel
option.  If that works, try backing off to "acpi=ht" to get the use of
more than one core.  (Turning off ACPI entirely kills SMP, even though
it fixes lots of other brokenness sometimes.)