Re: Proposed additions to release notes (was: Re: i686 ---> i586, i386 ---> i586, x86_64 stays the same)

I know it is a little late to ask, but:

Once upon a time, Christopher Beland <beland alum mit edu> said:
> * kernel.i586, for those requiring compatibility with a Pentium-class
> architecture or who do not have a PAE and NX capable processor.
> * kernel-PAE.i686, which requires a PAE and NX capable processor with
> Pentium PRO-class or later architecture.

Why isn't the i686 kernel just "kernel" as well?  Is there going to be
some other kernel.i686 package later?

It was nice when kernel-smp went away, because I could make scripts that
just look for the "kernel" package.  Now we are going back to where a
lot of systems (majority of 32 bit?) will not have a "kernel" package.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>