Solution to "not sure what component to file against" problems?

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:23:11 UTC 2009

2009/4/14 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 02:30 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
>> Someone a while back proposed adding a "000-Not-Sure-Which-Component"
>> component to Bugzilla, to prevent bugs being filed against 0xFFFF since
>> it is alphabetically first.  Presumably these would be sorted out by
>> triagers.
>>
>> Does anyone have feelings for or against this idea?
>>
>> It seems this might also short-circuit many emails that are sent to this
>> list, like the one below.
>
> To an extent I like it, but it may also rather encourage people to file
> bugs against it - it'd be the default selection, and people might just
> be lazy and leave it instead of looking through the list. I'd like to
> know we have a plan in place to cover the contingency of dozens of bugs
> a day being filed against this component, before we do this.

How about just "000". It would be the default but it wouldn't be
encouraging people to file it without bothering to look. Long term
solution (dependent on RH since bugzilla is run by them) would be to
have something closer to the wizard like bug filing like kde bugzilla
which actively encourages people to search for similar bugs before
filing.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...