new install: how can i not have enough space?

argh! i just started a new install on my laptop, so i could divvy things up into numerous logical volumes. i selected a pile of software, only to be told that my selected packages require 4698 MB of space and i don't have that much available.

excuse me? i have separate LVs for /, /home, /usr, /var, /tmp and /opt, with the *smallest* of those being 5G (/usr is 16G, /home is 50G, all the rest are 5G). how exactly do i not have enough space with 16G for /usr?

rday