Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Wed Apr 15 13:48:38 UTC 2009

> Bob Gustafson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 08:39 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
>
> >> The only problem I see here is that Evolution depending on openldap was a
> >> surprise to you.
> >
> > And 152 other packages that got whacked too..
>
> You are just blaming the messenger here. Upstream software might
> introduce hard dependencies or package maintainers might not have split
> up the packages. Yum is just informing you of the dependencies specified
> It is not responsible for the dependencies itself.
>
> Rahul

I'm comparing two messengers:

One, with 'minimum code', which relies on the user to decide whether the
dependency list to be removed contains elements which are actively used
by other packages.

A second, (debian's package manager), which maintains a reference count
so it does not remove elements which are still in use by other packages.

Which would you like to unleash on the world?