firefox is regularly dying

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Apr 18 08:55:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Martin Sourada wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 05:19 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > as of earlier this morning, firefox has simply aborted when i try
> > to do nothing more than follow a perfectly decent link.  it's
> > happened three times in the last 20 minutes.  is anyone else
> > seeing firefox just going away for no reason?
> >
> > $ rpm -q firefox
> > firefox-3.1-0.11.beta3.fc11.x86_64
> > $

> Looks like there is xulrunner at fault... Epiphany is regularly
> dying for me as well (though at first glance I do not see to
> experience it as often as you do). This is for the first time
> WebKitGTK is stabler than gecko for me... Actually the webkitgtk
> version in rawhide is rock stable... I suggest you try it out,
> midori is pretty interesting web-browser.
>
> $ rpm -q xulrunner
> xulrunner-1.9.1-0.11.beta3.fc11.i586

  i have effectively given up on firefox.  it used to be annoyingly
slow, but annoyingly has lately turned into agonizingly, where FF
regularly sucks up 100% of the CPU according to "top" (admittedly on a
core 2 duo system).

  in fact, at the moment, firefox is listed as using just over 118%
of the CPU, whereas seamonkey is sitting down around 0.3%.  i used to
really like firefox.  how did it turn into such an unmitigated
disaster?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday