Re: PXE question

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Arne Chr. Jorgensen <achrisjo yahoo com> said:
I would like to set up some PXE server myself, as I have some hardware
were I have no other option. ( Panasonic CF-18 )

There's no special software needed (i.e. there is no "PXE server"

There is, actually, and RHL used to include it. However, since dhcpd3, DHCP has been able to handle PXE configuration traffic, and the included tftpd package serves the needed files.

That said, I do recall one of my HP desktops insisted on sending traffic to port 4011. I don't recall the resolution, but it was _not_ install pxe-server.

program).  You need:

- DHCP server that allows you to set the right options
  - set boot-file (option 67) to "pxelinux.0"
  - set next-server to the IP of your TFTP server
- TFTP server to service pxelinux.0, config, kernel, initrd
- something (HTTP, FTP, NFS) to serve your install tree(s)

You get pxelinux.0 from the syslinux package, and the config should look
something like the normal syslinux or isolinux configs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait