Re: yum update: Fatal error, run database recovery ??

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Richard Hughes wrote:

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 17:35 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
Or actually more to the point: sending SIGINT or SIGTERM is fine, rpm
blocks that when the db is open. But sending a SIGKILL (like PK does
if  the backend doesn't terminate quickly) is just Russian roulette -
sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you dont.

Right. How about I just don't send SIGKILL at all for yum?

That would be best, yes.

We then probably have a situation where cancel (sometimes?) doesn't seem to work (within a reasonable time) but non-working rpm is far worse than non-working PK cancel. And rpm's responsiveness to SIGINT can certainly be improved a good deal, I'm just looking at how to best deal it and some other signal related issues which currently are pretty broken.

	- Panu -