F11 Preview - First impressions

E.B. A. usul80 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 22:20:18 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I  installed and used F11 Preview and these are my first impressions.

- The system runs ok, I did not have any big problem. I have to admit it
looks more stable than I thought.

- Boot time is a bit higher than the advertised 20 seconds. It goes from 30
to 50 seconds. I rebooted the system about 5 times. It is still acceptable.
One question: when the system boots and the progress bar is displayed there
is no Fedora logo. Is this correct?

- The only problems I had so far are related to the Package Manager.
Sometimes when I modify the checkboxes in the repository list it freezes or
it shows an eternal "Waiting in queue" message. This happens sometimes even
if it is the first thing I do and even if all the update requests are done.
I have to say, it is slightly less usable than my experience on F9 (I missed
F10, sorry!). Once, after 10 minutes a "yum locked" window popped up.

- I tried to install KDE (both in terminal and using the package manger) but
I continuously get an signature error, which surprised me. See the
following:
Package kdelibs-common-4.2.2-12.fc11.x86_64.rpm is not signed
[root at squarz ~]# ^C
[root at squarz ~]# ^C
[root at squarz ~]# yum install @kde-desktop
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
[...]
Total size: 306 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:

Package kdelibs-common-4.2.2-12.fc11.x86_64.rpm is not signed

Thanks,
Enrico Accenti