Re: F11 Preview - test with usbkey - upgrade partitions

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 01:16 -0700, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> I guess that most people develop their own way of "upgrading" from one
> release to the next but this is an area that is generally not
> extensively
> documented apart from lots of bits of answers spread out over many
> questions
> on forums. I prefer clean installs every time but I still need to keep
> user
> areas and personalised files etc in /opt preserved for use in the new
> system.

Yeah, that's a fairly common use case for upgrades.  As you've
mentioned, I suspect people have developed their own best practices over
time.  I'd be curious for your feedback on the current documented
upgrade method:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/ch-upgrading-system.html

The install-guide also recommends a partitioning scheme intended to
preserve user data by creating a separate '/home' partition [1].  This
doesn't quite meet your needs of preserving system configuration data in
'/etc'.  If you end up repeatedly using the same authentication/user
configuration files on many systems, you might consider moving that data
to a network service (NIS, ldap/krb) on another system?

Thanks,
James

[1]
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-partitioning-advice.html