F10 nightmare under control

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Apr 30 16:39:14 UTC 2009

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> The hardware is a HP-compac 6715b, with network chipset from Broadcom.
> In some previous release of Fedora, I tried to get it working with
> Bcm43xx, but had to compile my own driver. Something I failed doing,
> some libraries or headers was not in the release.Frequent updates of
> packages drowned me.
>
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> - " wl is a proprietary module and is not part of Fedora, hence your
> problem is unlikely to be addressed on this list :) "
>
> I was unaware that Broadcom had any driver for Linux. I was certain I
> was running some precompiled b43-module. To patch/compile - make your
> own version, is too demanding. And your left on some different page
> then the rest.

The b43 driver is part of Fedora. You need to follow the firmware
installation instructions to get it to work. (Basically, you have to
download a specific version of the Broadcom proprietary driver (I think
they expect a MIPS binary from OpenWRT, not the x86 version you're using,
the instructions give the exact link) and run b43-fwcutter on it (which
will extract the firmware out of the binary).)

        Kevin Kofler