The new Sound applet

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Aug 3 18:56:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:44:48AM -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:27:36 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >At first impression, I like the new preferences>sound
> >control.  Unfortunately it still can't select the CD audio
> >input on an ALC889A codec.   This is on a Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p
> >motherboard and Core Duo 8500.
>
> See the "New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12" thread on fedora-devel
> list for why the CD audio input is deliberately not available.

I bothered to read through all this.  As far as I can understand
what is is said there if your audio setup falls within rather narrow
confines of what Lennart Poettering thinks that it should look like
then there are chances that it will work (although it may eat
excessive amounts of CPU in the process).  Otherwise you are SOL and
you will see NOTABUG or WONTFIX if you will attempt to file any bug
reports.  Dissenting opinions are not and will be not tolerated and
are mostly dismissed with "ad hominem" attacks.

Also if you happen not to be on the "right" mailing list or do not
have NOW a suitable hardware/software setup where you can test
development PA then (from a message by LP opening "New Mixer
Handling..." thread)
<quote>
If you don't raise your voice now that some output port is not
properly detected or audio is too faint then later on you won't have
any right to complain.
</quote>

Nice!  Expect "an audio lottery" in the future.

   Michal