test days live image creation guide

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 11:37:24 UTC 2009

Hello,

our kickstart script [1] may be soon included in the upstream
spin-kickstarts project (see below). There are a few issues I would
like to discuss with you.

1) Currently we have two additional repos defined in the script:
http://jlaska.fedorapeople.org/repos/testday
http://adamwill.fedorapeople.org/nouveau
Do we still need these repositories (they look outdated)?
Do we want them to be included in the upstream script by default?

When creating particular test days the teams will of course
sometimes create their own repository with packages they need
(like our case of abrt). That is a different case. The question
is, if we want to have some repository defined which is by default
used in *all* test days. You tell me, I have too few experience yet :)
Who would manage it, what would be the best location?

2) Currently there is a desktop shortcut for connecting to
#fedora-qa IRC chat. That will not be seen as appropriate by
Fit-n-Finish team that uses their own channel (and it's not so
trivial to redefine it if you want to use untouched upstream
version of the script). The solution would be:
a) use common IRC channel for QA and Fit-n-Finish test day events
What about creating #fedora-test-day? Do we may want to have more
test days in parallel?
b) define some URL that would translate appropriately for the
particular day - similarly to the page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:Current
used for wiki page resolution. Unfortunately our wiki can't be used
for arbitrary URL resolution, only for internal pages. So it would
have to be some script (http://.../irc.php) hosted somewhere
(fedorapeople?) that would redirect to
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=fedora-qa or
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=fedora-fit-and-finish
Of course someone would have to manage it.
c) on the LiveCD we can place some magic script that would parse
Test_Day:Current, extract IRC address and run the browser with that
address. But that's quite an ugly solution.

Thanks for your input.
Kamil

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/Live_Image