Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 26 19:16:12 UTC 2009

On 08/26/2009 11:58 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram  said:
>>> If people don't care to get the local emails, perhaps a better solution
>>> would be coming up with a way to get that information to the user
>>> without email (rss? popup?).
>>
>> Yes, perhaps. Meanwhile ssmtp is a better default IMO.
>
> I don't necessarily think so. If you're doing a minimal install, you're
> more likely installing a server, in which case you expect more a mail
> infrastructure.

This is not the only use case or even the most common one. Live CD's for
example don't need a mail server. You can't expect desktop users to go
and read root mail anyway. Unless there is something better, mail server
just add to the startup time. A completely waste.

Net installs don't necessarily need a mail server at all.

Fedora users installing it on a server (they do exist), especially as a
a mail server are going to be way less than desktop users. We are just
following a legacy here. It doesn't provide any real benefit at all to
the large majority of users. Since some of the packages expect a mta,
shove in ssmtp and be done with it.

Rahul