Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 27 16:38:13 UTC 2009

On 08/27/2009 09:43 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> said:
>> Anyway a feature proposal has been made at
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoMTA
>
> "Delete and ignore the messages" seems like a bad idea; typically, only
> error messages come from cron jobs, so dropping the output is bad.
> Ignoring errors is a recipie for later problems.

What problem would that be, really? People keep claiming that without
adding any details. The Xfce Spin which I used to maintain is already
not running sendmail by default ever since it was first released. Nobody
noticed or complained yet. The LXDE Spin is doing the same thing for
Fedora 12.

The proposal doesn't really suggest that we drop everything on the floor
however. Read the proposal a little bit more.

"Required changes:

   1. Change any cron job that emits output to send its output to syslog
or a log file

   2. Remove Requires: /usr/sbin/sendmail from cronie's spec file "

If you have a custom cron job running email you want, you just yum
install the mta of your choice.

Rahul