Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:55:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Rahul
Sundaram<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 08/27/2009 09:43 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> said:
>>> Anyway a feature proposal has been made at
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoMTA
>>
>> "Delete and ignore the messages" seems like a bad idea; typically, only
>> error messages come from cron jobs, so dropping the output is bad.
>> Ignoring errors is a recipie for later problems.
>
> What problem would that be, really? People keep claiming that without
> adding any details. The Xfce Spin which I used to maintain is already
> not running sendmail by default ever since it was first released. Nobody
> noticed or complained yet. The LXDE Spin is doing the same thing for
> Fedora 12.

How hard would it be to add something to firstboot that asks for an
email address to send emails from the system to?  If the person does
not want to use that then it defaults to the created account and runs
newaliases on that. I realize I am really really old school here, but
the reason I use it even as a desktop is that I can get email sent to
somewhere without a lot of licensed or extra software added.

[A group I worked at previously had this in their firstboot so that
logging and email could be sent to a system administrator so they knew
what was going. ]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning