more rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) woes

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 19:41:05 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 8/28/09, John Broomfield <jbroomdip at nic.gp> wrote:

> From: John Broomfield <jbroomdip at nic.gp>
> Subject: Re: more rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) woes
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Friday, August 28, 2009, 1:25 PM
> > On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at
> 03:28:05PM -0400, John Broomfield wrote:
> > > all" and then simply "yum update rpm" which also
> fails. Find below
> > > the whole output from it.
> > > Updating:
> > >  prelink
>    i686   0.4.2-2.fc12
>

> rawhide   955 k
> > >  rpm
>    i686   4.7.1-4.fc12
>

> rawhide   825 k
> > are seeing here "fc12" then you are in the wrong
> place.  First you
> > need to update rpm packages using Fedora 11 repos
> (updates,
> > updates-testing, whatever) , i.e. with 'rawhide' repos
> _disabled_,
> > and only then you can go back to rawhide.
> >
> >    Michal
>
> Hi Michal and thanks for your patience with me. I've
> disabled the rawhide now, and only getting from the
> updates-testing repos, but it still shows fc12 in the name,
> and (as usual...) still bombs with the same error. How do I
> force to take fc11 from the updates-testing repos? (or
> shouldn't I be doing that?).
> Sorry for making a complete fool of myself here... :(
> John.
>

> ---
John,

I have been through the same road, and have encountered your difficulties.  Michal is right.  You should have followed his advice carefully.  Now you seem to be at a point of no return :(, you might be better served getting a Fedora 12 Alpha DVD and chroot /mnt/sysimage and run yum update -y from there and see if that and only that could bail you out or use an Update existing installation.

I thankfully was able to get back on rawhide with xfce spin by Adam Miller.  I did make a fool of myself not carefully following advice provided by Michal, Jesse, AdamW, and others on this list :(.  Hope you can defeat this terrible situation.  Been there and done that.

Regards,

Antonio