Fedora release criteria completely revised

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 17:25:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 10:52 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> On 12/07/09 23:55, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>
> Hi -
>
> > these pages, not nice-to-haves. You must be able to commit to the idea
> > that, if any criterion on the page is not met, we would slip the release in
> > question.
>
> I think it's great you guys are looking to increase
> Quality-with-a-capital-Q.
>
> ''9 There must be no SELinux 'AVC: denied' messages or abrt crash
> notifications on initial boot and subsequent login''
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Final_Release_Criteria
>
> It might be wise to specify on what particular set of test machines or
> platforms you want to see not abrt stuff from.  Because current F12
> kernels kill a 4-core box here and iwlagn gives abrt warnings on this
> laptop, but it's still otherwise fine as a released kernel.
>
> It's not realistic to hold a release until the kernel never crashes on
> any platform.

Luckily, we have a tailor-made get-out clause for that one (actually I
pointed out the same problem as you, and wrote it, shortly before
FUDCon):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Blocker_Bug_FAQ#What_about_hardware_and_local_configuration_dependent_issues.3F

I'll turn that criterion into a 'in most cases' one with a link to that
FAQ entry, as we did for the other similar criteria. Thanks.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey