f11 alpha install failure

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 22:30:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/02/05 13:18 (GMT-0800) David L composed:
>
>> But last week, my old CRT monitor died and I replaced
>> it with a new flat panel.  After that, the screen corruption
>> came back.  That's why I was trying f11 to see if it would
>> be any better.  So far, it's not looking good.  Each release
>> since f6, the i810 driver has been worse for me.  :(
>
> i810 became an alias for intel, I think over a year ago now. 845, 855 & 945
> chips seem to be the most troublesome for the recent intel drivers.

I have this chipset:

(II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 865G
(--) intel(0): Chipset: "865G"

and it has also been quite troublesome.

I've successfully done a text mode installation, but the system hung
after startx.  I got a bug buddy window with some corruption (I don't
know what crashed) after X started and then nothing for several minutes.
The mouse moved a corrupt little fedora wait icon around the screen,
but there were no other signs of life.  I didn't check if I could ping or
ssh into it.  I couldn't ctrl-alt-del to reboot and ctrl-alt-backspace didn't
work (although I think I saw in the release notes that it doesn't do
anything by default anymore).  In the end, I power cycled and booted
back to the f10 partition (where there is still X corruption but no
hangs).  I'm pretty sure the f11 hangs are graphics driver related.

                  David