Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 02:52:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:30:02PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 08:05:34PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> >
> > So, are they serious about removing ctl+alt+backspace, and if so, is
> > there a replacement?
>
> $ man xorg.conf
>        Option "DontZap"  "boolean"
>               This disallows the use of the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace sequence.  That
>               sequence  is  normally  used to terminate the Xorg server.  When
>               this option is enabled, that key sequence has no special meaning
>               and is passed to clients.  Default: off.

Isn't there no xorg.conf by default now?  So one will have to create one
simply to get ctl+alt+backspace to work?

I did a very minimal installation, no Gnome, KDE or XFCE and while I
have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I don't know if that's the case in a default
installation.

One thing that I seriously wonder--RedHat has explicitly stated that it
doesn't aim towards the desktop, but want the enterprise market, which,
one assumes, primarily means servers.

I wonder how many of these desktop oriented things that have been
cropping up since around F7 are going to go into RH 6?  I suspect that
many other sysadmins will be extremely bothered by them.

Shucks, I'm sounding like a troll here.  However, it's a serious
concern.  Some CentOS using friends and myself are already rather
concerned about what RH6 is going to be.

Well, Fedora is a developer distribution, so hopefully it's just an idea
they're playing with to see how it works.

> So we are really talking here only about setting a totally backwards default.
> Whomever came up with that bright idea appears to have an extremely limited
> exposure to a real-life PC hardware.

As I mentioned earlier, it was one of the things that caused many Aspire
One users to consider Linpus a crippled distribution.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Principal Snyder: A lot of educators tell students, 'Think of
your principal as your pal' I say, 'Think of me as your judge,
jury, and executioner.