Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 10 12:33:18 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>>
>> Finally, when all is said and done, security is _my_ problem.
>
> Depends. People usually crack a system and then use it as a gateway to
> crack other systems. Then it becomes more of a global issue.

I neglected to mention, I've seen some cracked Linux system. The
presence of X or equivalent (were it present) was completely irrelevant.
In my experience the most effective way to crack a system is to
enumerate accounts and passwords.

These days, the easiest way to gain access to systems I maintain is to
guess the details of an email account. Your next problem is that that
gets you access to my email service, no more.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait