yum error in f11 alpha

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:23:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:00 AM, seth vidal wrote:

>> >yum is fine.
>> >-sv
>>
>> I still think this is some sort of a DNS problem. I added the lines
>>
>>   66.35.62.166            download.fedoraproject.org wildcard.fedoraproject.org
>>   80.239.156.215          download.fedoraproject.org wildcard.fedoraproject.org
>>   152.46.7.222            download.fedoraproject.org wildcard.fedoraproject.org
>>   209.132.176.120         download.fedoraproject.org wildcard.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> in /etc/hosts and commented mirrors out in yum repo config, and after
>> that yum does work. (Updating didn't fix the problem, though.)
>>
>> DNS resolving fails in other things besides yum, including ssh. It
>> does not seem to be dependent on the DNS server either. I tried
>> several public DNS servers all over the net.
>
> Well, if all of the above is true then, yes, it is most likely a dns
> issue.

It started working for me this morning for some unknown reason.  I
changed nothing as far as I know, but when I rebooted into f11 this
morning to get more details for a bug report, it just worked.  I know
it didn't work the last time I was in f11.  Yesterday when I tried it, I
was booted to f10 and chrooted into my f11 partition.  Before filing
the bug report, I wanted to make sure it was still happening when
I booted into f11.  I originally got the same error for a different reason...
my eth0 was up but didn't have an IP address for some reason
(I'm sure this wasn't the problem the last time I tried from f11).
After I fixed eth0, yum started working.  I then rebooted back into f10
and retried chrooting to f11 root and yum works there now too.  Very
weird.

                  David