Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Feb 10 21:03:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 10:43, Adam Jackson wrote:

> But nooooo.  Gotta keep having VTs so we can recover when X screws up.
> I mean, it's the unix way.  Which apparently means designing failure in
> from the start, and calling it a feature.

Yes the long term solution is KMS and it is coming.  Until then we do
have to live with the situation as it exists.  And until X 'just works'
for the great majority of users something like c-a-bs is a lot more
useful than harmful.  Most of the complaints seem to be emacs users
having a default keybinding on c-a-bs.  An emacs user should be able to
figure out how to disable display zapping.  Perhaps the procedure could
be documented better and made more visible.

Always thought the kernel should have been managing the video hardware
like it does every other device in the machine.  In this respect *NIX
has been almost as stupid as DOS.  Lack of a useful video abstraction
(as in not slow, buggy and retarded) caused no end of trouble in that
camp when Windows 9x came out and outright killed most DOS games when
NT/XP became the norm.  At least we only (generally) have the one
application doing the direct bit twiddling.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!